August is right around the corner and that means my favorite fresh fruit season is about to strike in Michigan: blueberry season! I have grown up eating pounds and pounds of those delectable little berries, and as I’ve gotten older and “more mature” in my palate, I look for various ways to incorporate my favorite fruit into different recipes.
Today’s Savory Sunday is a simple one. But it is also a top contender on my healthy summer meal plan. Dark green spinach, plump blueberries, sharp red onions, crunchy and salty almonds, and rich feta cheese all mixed together for a happy, healthy meal. This salad is packed with lots of nutrients and antioxidants! Plus my homemade dressing adds just enough tang to make you wanting more once your bowl is gone.
Blueberry Almond Salad with Feta
- 3 cups salad greens
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 2 Tbsp salted almonds (sliced almonds work too) FOR DRESSING:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp verjus
- 2 Tbsp Stevia (or sugar; add more if you like a sweeter dressing)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of dried oregano
- pinch of black pepper
- Place salad greens into a bowl
- Top with cheese, blueberries, and almonds
- Place all dressing ingredients into a Mason jar
- Close jar tightly and shake to mix together
- Pour as much dressing as preferred over salad
- Serve immediately
Not blueberry season where you live? Substitute dried cherries or dried cranberries instead! Walnuts and pecans work well in place of the almonds also.