I attempt a new recipe about once a week, whether it be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. About a month ago I came across a recipe for shrimp tacos and decided to give it a try. WOW! G and I both fell head over heels for these spicy little delicacies, and we now eat them at least once every other week. They are quick, easy, and way too good not to share.
This original recipe can be found on Peas and Crayons, but I’ve made a few changes to go along with the specific ingredients I use (and do not use from the original.)
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Fast, flavorful, and sure to make you want seconds.
- 6 soft corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 pound shrimp, deveined and shelled (I prefer to use salad shrimp for their sizing)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup ranch (I use Bolthouse’s yogurt ranch)
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage / broccoli slaw
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- homemade guacamole, to preference
- chopped cilantro, to taste
- Chipotle Ranch: simply whisk together the ranch and hot sauce, set aside
- Cilantro Lime Slaw: combine apple cider vinegar, honey, and lime juice; pour over cabbage/slaw mix; add diced jalapenos — I usually let this marinate for 2 hours (or make ahead of time and let set for a day or two in the fridge.)
- Season shrimp with paprika, cayenne, and garlic powder, mixing well
- Saute shrimp (I prefer to cook with coconut oil for this recipe.)
- Heat tortillas for 30 seconds to prevent tearing
- Layer tacos: tortilla, guacamole, slaw, shrimp, chipotle ranch, and fresh cilantro
- Serve immediately — devour!
You can try with tilapia or salmon instead of shrimp too!