G and I are challenging ourselves to a No-Spend Month this June as we have some big travel plans later in the summer and have completed a number of house projects since the New Year. (One project was unexpectedly necessary when I opted to put my hand through one of the basement windows. Thankfully I’ll only suffer a scar or two from the accident… oops!)
We do not typically spend a lot of evenings eating out anyways, but we do treat one another to a Date Night once a week. Instead we’ll be attempting a few trickier recipes at home which, in all honesty, I am ALL about! Nothing excites me more than adding a new page to my personal cookbook, especially when it includes spending time with my husband.
In conjunction with my necessity to eat gluten-free, many of the recipes I have lined up for June 2019 are on the “healthy spectrum” and might include new flavors or flavor-combinations for our household. Another exciting factor. This one-pan dish featured below was the first new recipe attempted this month, and it’ll definitely be making a reappearance in the future! Talk about tasty — this dish is a spicy mix of herbs and lemony chicken all within a 220 calorie per serving intake. You’ll have no guilt going back for second helping with this one!
Caulirice has become a staple at our house, and I can see me incorporating this recipe without the chicken alongside future Mexican meals as well. Spanish caulirice beside tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, etc? Yes, please!
Spanish Chicken Over Caulirice
One-pan Spanish dish that is Whole30/Paleo approved.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian spices
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb chicken (I used wings and drumsticks, but plan to use breasts in the future.)
- 16oz cauliflower rice
- 1.5 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- cilantro as garnish
- homemade guacamole, to preference
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl
- Rub half the spice mix onto the chicken, save remainder for later
- Cook chicken until golden brown in a skillet, then remove and set aside (do not fully cook chicken yet)
- Pour stock and lemon juice into the skillet and blend any chicken drippings
- Add cauliflower rice, tomatoes, and remaining spice mix and stir well
- Place the chicken over the rice and cover with a lid, cooking on medium-low hear for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked
- Garnish with cilantro and serve aside guacamole
The original recipe calls for sun-dried tomatoes rather than fresh. I had cherry tomatoes on-hand, so I used them and enjoyed the juiciness. Plus, fresh are usually a cheaper option.
The original recipe can be found at Paleo Gluten Free Eats.
Let me know what you think, and if you try any substitutions or tweaks.